Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Backpacking trip


















Boulder slide

Wirepass trailhead



Stuck in quicksand!
The first week in September some of my family and I went on a backpacking trip in one of southern Utah slot canyons. It was a 50 mile trip and we did it in three days. I had know idea what I was getting myself into. It wouldn't have been so bad but the terrain was aweful. We were climbing over huge boulders, through quicksand and swimming in ice cold water pools above our waist. The first day we hiked for about 8:00 am to 11:00 pm. I have never been so physically challenged in me entire life; not to mention my shoes weighed me down like no other, They were so full of water and sand it was unbelievable. In fact I kept complaining about them nobody really believe me when I told them how heavy they were; but at the end of the night when I took them off everyone was feeling pretty sorry for me. Well we all end up with some physical challenges during the trip, both my brother Josh and I twisted our knees in quicksand so we were limping around the last 30 miles or so. Nick and Jesse had ankle problems and another problem I won't mention. My moms toenails were killing her, mine towards the end started hurting me and when I took my shoes off two of my toenails were lifted up and all bloody underneath; I am surprised to say I only lost a little over half of both toenails. I had the wrong idea thinking I was going to be on vacation on this trip.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I love it! You did such a good job! I'm so glad you finally have a blog!

Smolkaville said...

Welcome to the blogging world! Your backpacking trip looked like a lot of fun, even though it was a ton of work.

Unknown said...

CUTE blog! I love that you have one so I can see what you have been up to :) Looks like fun! We have so much in common...our kids are even the same age!

Janiel said...

Yeah!! you have a blog!! i'm so excited!! Looks Great!!

the5johnsons said...

wow, what a fun trip. We should go together some time.